Sunday, October 04, 2009

things i found in the attic



things i found in the attic, originally uploaded by a nameless yeast.

Yesterday I found my copy of Ghostly Men, a small non-fiction book about the Collyer Brothers, the most famous of the old-time hoarders. It was right under my nose, or rather on a three-shelf case under the nose of a five-shelf case, most of whose latter's shelves are doubled-up with books. I knew it was here somewhere.

The hit reality show Hoarders, which appeared on basic cable just after I decided to do something about my pack-rat's environment, takes us into the homes of contemporary Collyers, and I'm relieved to say that the terrible conditions in which these capital-H Hoarders try to live don't look much like the crap I've accumulated over the years. But I still have decades of clutter to go through and have been steadily weeding and making discoveries (as fans of Sheena Easton may have already discovered) and clearing space and the soul.

This morning I took a shot at the attic - not the crawlspace as I've previously written about, but the main floor area. I only spent an hour up there but I filled a garbage bag of junk and also found school and other papers I'd like to hold onto, some of which I'd been looking for for a long time:

things i found in the attic

The Circle Theater was where I learned about the movies. I saw hundreds of filsm here when I was in high school, many of them one-dollar matinees. The most unusual double-bill was Fast Times at Ridgemont High paired with Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence; I didn't much like either of them, but this was the place where I first saw some of my favorite movies; Badlands, Chinatown, North by Northwest. It was a run-down, vermin-infested theater but Washington, DC is a poorer place for its loss.

things i found in the attic

My late mother was a seamstress, and I've long wanted to see if the accoutrements of her trade were still stashed away in the house. I found old patterns in a bag that was again right under my nose.

things i found in the attic

I found school papers and old drawings, more of which I'll post anon, but this most intrigued me, from a Social Studies folder. What an awful vision of community was presented to our young minds ca. 1977.

The six-pack of Coors belonged to one of my brothers and was acquired ca. 1972, when the brand was hard to come by in these parts.

Except for the beer, I'm not planning to throw any of these out. The struggle continues.

No comments: