Friday, June 24, 2011

every camera I own: the diana mini

The Diana Mini is based on a classic plastic camera design from the 1960s. The Diana and her many variations took 120 sized film,  and were/are not known for build quality - and that includes the Lomo "reissue." The revamped, rainbow Diana line included a limited edition red-and-white Meg White Diana set which I didn't expect to win on eBay. In 2009 Lomo introduced a Diana that used 35mm film - a smaller package than the medium-format Diana+ that of course cost twenty percent more and was no less a flimsy maiden who needed protein.  Maybe she is fragile because she is hunted. I could write about her as if she were a pony: I didn't think it would take long before I broke her. And it didn't. Before we sailed over the second hurdle etc etc glue factory. But she had true grit after all.

What happened was the shutter release at the side of the lens lost its shiny knob just before I loaded it for this project. And by "lost" I mean "it broke off when I tested it."

With a 24mm lens, it's a wider angle than most toy cameras. I've only used it once before, and apparently it leaked a lot:

Some kind of expired 400 ASA (probably too fast for it) Kodak stock. Malcolm X Park, Washington, DC.

Last week I loaded it with fresh Fuji 200. You can't tell in the above picture, but throw this 24mm lens some straight lines, and it throws back barrel distortion:

69950019


And, on occasion, frame advance issues:

69950014


Crappy scans courtesy of Walgreen's, where the film pick-up bins are never full.

69950015

No comments: