Friday, September 30, 2005

learning to feel


learning to feel
Originally uploaded by a nameless yeast.

I recently took a closer look at a friend's new sig:

Guess I'll have to break the news
That I got no mind to lose

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
That I got no cerebellum
Gonna get my Ph.D.
I'm a teenage lobotomy
RAMONES

The lyric had been seeping in for a few weeks, and now that the boring photos discussion is gearing up again and the concomitant notion of an aesthetic/spritual emptying, I see this song is really about the openness of youth, the resilience, the sense of potential because *nothing* is settled and defined. Of course Joey can get his PhD - he can be president! He can do anything! As a teenager, having no mind to lose is a dangerous and exciting thing. As an adult, it's even more thrilling. Joey Ramone knew this. Brian Wilson knows this. The lyric validates the stripped-down basics of the music and vice versa. It can be anything. It can be Hanson.

This is what Pants does.

No comments: