Thursday, December 08, 2005

a hillbilly no more


a hillbilly no more
Originally uploaded by a nameless yeast.

Two much-anticipated packages awaited me when I got home from work: my D70s, and Fantagraphics' brand new collection of work by Mark Newgarden, "We All Die Alone." So I used one to shoot the other - this is the first shot taken with my new toy. Instant professionalism, obviously.

The strip above appeared in the DC City Paper sometime in the late 80's/early 90's, when Newgarden shared the funny pages with the likes of David Lynch's "The angriest dog in the world" and Lynda Barry's "I am half-filipino and oh! Childhood!" I've tried to explain this particular strip to friends for years but had long lost my clipping, leaving the urgent humor of "Even hilbillies" lost to a generation. This cry of cynicism has perhaps been shed, if one can extrapolate from Newgarden's bio, which notes the artist is currently living with his woman in a building that once housed a Brooklyn funeral parlor. The fact that they reside in Kansas further attests to the strength of lurve. I have also perhaps shed my youthful cynicism and am looking for a former funeral parlor, perhaps in the Memphis area.

No comments: